With the success of the extra length on the green thermals (of which the stitching on the torso part is breaking – I think I need a wider extra part, but its ok for now) I decided that tweaking the old waffle weave thermals was a good idea. To do this meant cutting them, and well…I might bugger it up. I convinced myself that, well..I wasn’t wearing them anyway, so if I wrecked them…tough.
I started with the old favorite regular t-shirt, and following this tutorial, I grabbed a thermal top that fitted nicely, placed it just so, drew the line near the edge that I needed, sewed on the line and then lopped off the edges. That felt good. I am yet to try the finished product on, but it looks ok, and has heaps of stretch in the fabric.
With that success, I grabbed the waffle weave thermals and started on the top. This one was trickier, since there were no side seams and it was huge, and stretched out of shape. The best I could do was straighten the sleeve seams and line up the shoulders. I followed the edge of the top and tried to make the line match the grooves in the fabric. Again, I sewed over the line before lopping off the excess. I dont recall what stitch I used, probably the over cast. It worked, and looked good. But…it IS a t-shirt. I never much liked the fact it was a t-shirt, so I decided to scrounge in the bag of clothes I’ve shrunk out of for ‘sleeves.’ I found a paler grey 3/4 length sleeve top and decided that would do. I hacked off the sleeves as far up as I could, which thankfully was about the right length to match the length of the sleeves on the black thermal I like. I took the sleeves in a bit so they would fit the end of the waffle sleeve and happily sewed them onto the waffle top….and promptly realised I’d buggered it up. I thought I had ‘right sides together’…but..well..they were both inside out, so tucking the pale sleeve into the waffle sleeve meant I had a right side with a wrong side. Oops. I left it a while, contemplating whether I could live with inside out additions, and decided that nope, I couldn’t. Unpicking overcast stitch is a right pain in the bum, so I don’t recommend it. A few days later I’d done both sleeves and reattached them. Yay! The seams look dodgy, but as ’emergency’ wear for camping, I really don’t care.
Next I had to be brave and do the pants. Man, that was hard. They only had inner seams, and a stretched out bum. The best I could do was make the inseams neat, wrangle the crotch to look ok, and then see how much had to come off. I couldn’t get a nice edge, so I decided to use the ruler and measured it. 2 inches off each outside edge until the ribbing, then 1.5 inches, down to 1 inch for the ribbing part. Lots and lots of pins were used. I tried to use the regular machine and, well..ended up breaking the needle…into three parts. :O I tried a new needle, but the machine just would NOT sew the waistband fabric. So, I dug out the overlocker and used that. Though I used the scissors to cut the waistband first. I don’t much like the sewn edge it makes, but since the regular machine is half dead..well..
I tried them on though, and despite looking WAY too skinny, they fit nicely. They are now in a ‘go bag’ for the car, along with spare socks and undies. If I ever need to sleep in the car, I have something to wear. Or if I need dry clothes after a road trip. I may not be able to go out in public, but I wont need to drive home in wet or muddy things.
Since the regular machine broke the needle in three places, its not been very happy. It skips stitches and is just being a right pain. The only way for it not to skip is to have the stitch length on 1. ‘Everyone’ says its the timing. I asked around to get a service quote, and I’m looking at 100- 125 for each one – I had thought to get the other one serviced too. Since one particular machine was 25 from the tip shop, and the other was free, I don’t think I want to spend that much. For not many more dollars I can get a BRAND NEW machine – here is one for LESS (I have a VIP card). Or for a saving of 250 I can have this Semco one. Or maybe I’ll smack the old one with a hammer to see what that does.
I bought an fabric apple from a $2 shop a while ago, to use as a pin cushion, but it always toppled over coz its top heavy. So, to stop being aggravated, I chopped a strip magnet in half and sewed it to the bottom. Its a good solution. It sticks to the freezer, but only just. It has enough grip for me to pull the pins out though.
I found a ‘pointy’ pad picture somewhere and decided to try that out. But first I had to make a design, which I did. I made one end longer than the other on purpose. Having all straight lines worked well for designing, and then transferring to card. The machine not behaving is an issue though, and ruined the whole construction fun. I’ve made the pad, but not top stitched it yet. I don’t have the nice neat lines or sharp corners I wanted, but it should still work.
Because the machine is being a pain, sewing is no longer fun, so I’ve started knitting dishcloths again, and started in an Iaia hexagon as well. The hexagons (currently planned to be a ‘natural’ color for the centre with chocolate for the rest) will probably be frogged anyway, but the dishcloths I’ll toss in the drawer for ‘later.’