Afghan find in Facebook

On my newsfeed in Facebook this morning, there was a picture of a blanket that someone found. It was very interesting, and distinctive. You can see it here.

Me, being me, wanted to try this one because it was so different, but I couldn’t find a pattern, and it was doing my head in trying to work the methodology out from the picture.

I kept working on deciphering the picture and I think I have FINALLY worked it out….the centre panel-y thing anyway. I think I can work out the ‘gaps’ – assuming I ever actually make a proper one. Rainbow colors anyone?

Rough pattern of how *I* have done my sample.

Initial square:

Form ring

Ch4, 1dc, ch2, 1dc, ch1, 1dc (v-st), ch2, v-st, ch2, v-st, ch2, join

Ch3, dc in each st and sp, in the ch 2 sp from prev row,* [2dc, ch2, 2dc – dbl v], dc in each dc, dbl v. repeat around. Join and end off.

Change color!

Join in the first dc of a side. Ch4 , skp1, dc in next, sk 1,. Rpt to end. Ch 1, dc in ch2sp, ch2, dc, ch 1. Dc in 1st st of new side. Repeat.  DO NOT end off

 

Subsequent centres:
Ch4, 1dc, ch2, 1dc, ch1, 1dc (v-st), ch2, v-st, ch2, v-st, ch2, join, and end off.

(I suggest making these first)

 

Joining row: With the same color from the initial square (which should be the same color as your next centre) ch3 from your join (that you didn’t end off) dc in each dc and sp. Dbl-v in the corner, dc in each dc and sp to the next corner. ONE dc in the corner

Pick up your NEW centre.

Make HALF a dc in the same corner on the ‘big’ square, and another half a dc on the new centre, and work them together (2dctog) dc in same sp *Dc in each dc and sp, dbl v –st in ch2 space. Repeat around to the big square, dc2tog as before. Dc in each st and sp. Dblv-st in the corners.  Join and end off.

With the next color (matching your new [3rd] centre) , attach yarn, and follow the dc, ch1 row around.

Using the same color, ch3 and make the solid row, incorporating the NEW centre.

Basically, you start with a holey row in color A, then a solid row of A. Next MAKE a B centre.

Then work a holey row of B all around Square A.

A solid B row comes next. I liked having the start at one corner, and the attachment of the new centre on the opposite corner.

MAKE a holey C square.

Make the holey C row around Squares A and B.

Work a solid C row. 

Next would be make a D centre, then work a holey D row around squares A, B and C. 

Then A solid D row

Etc et al

The original has 7 centres (http://sarapalacios.com.ar/mantas/index.php/2011/11/locura-manta-de-cuadrados-y-zig-zags/) and measures approx 70×70, mine has 9 centres and is 90×90 without the border. 

In baking news:

Peanut butter cookies things are very very nice. There is a picture above of one I made last night, with a dribble of cream. I didn’t have any chop chips (I swear I had some in the cupboard!) so, not being inclined to go to the shop for one thing, I remembered the coconut M&M’s I bought when I hired dvd’s the pother day. Some Googling assured me these would work, so I made a new batch of cookies using the brown and white ones.  Worked FINE! Not sure the added coconut flavor was all that crash hot. But who cares? Adding cream to individual hot ones would make an awesome dessert. It was very rich though, so you probably couldn’t pig out on them.

Further to baking, I made ..something..that was meant to be cookies on the weekend, using pumpkin. They didn’t turn out too bad either, a wee bit too light and fluffy, but half plain, half sr flour would have fixed that. They were edible, and perhaps even worthy of repeating..if I can remember HOW I did it. :-/ There was about 1/2 cup cooked pumpkin, butter melted into it (it was hot coz I’d just cooked the whole one), sugar, cocoa and vanilla added. Then a dash of milk, an egg added and about 1.5 cups of sr flour. Last I folded in the remaining choc chips, maybe 1/4 cup. Baked them at 180 til they smelt about right. Not bad at all.

On the art front.
I  saw a bed on Death in Paradise the other night, that had a white headboard, with some Aztec looking hieroglyphs  on it in a blue green color. As my bed has a blue head board, and I was quite taken with the pattern, I took a photo, thinking I might like to do that to my bed. I’m not sure if I will, but it is a nice idea. I’d do mine in white though.

About these ads
Explore posts in the same categories: challenge, cooking, crochet, ideas, miscellaneous

Tags: , ,

You can comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.

4 Comments on “Afghan find in Facebook”

  1. jennifer Says:

    I love the blanket but the pattern isn’t completely clear. How do you decrease to square the blanket out?


  2. […] bold colors! I found the pattern on Ravelry, but if you don’t have an account you can get it here.  It’s worth checking out the pictures on Ravelry for a couple of reasons….great […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 131 other followers

%d bloggers like this: